So this article about what Hogwarts houses the Game of Thrones characters would be in has been making the rounds, and attracted a fair amount of criticism for their classification of the characters. Here’s my reclassification. Many of them have had significant life experiences that change them, and so I’ll clarify by saying thinking about what their temperaments might have been like at school age.
(Character: Original Assessment → My Reassessment)
Jon Snow: Gryffindor → Gryffindor
Arya Stark: Gryffindor → Gryffindor
Jaime Lannister: Gryffindor → Slytherin for his sister; or Hufflepuff.
- He did have high regard for knightly virtue in his early life, though later events complicated his position.
Theon Greyjoy: Gryffindor → Hufflepuff
- There was always a desire to be recognized as a true Stark or Greyjoy.
Asha Greyjoy: Gryffindor → Gryffindor
- From what we know, she was a commander both respected and loved, after the fashion of the Ironborn.
Oberyn Martell: Gryffindor → Slytherin
Tyrion Lannister: Ravenclaw → Ravenclaw
- He’s always known his intelligent was his greatest asset.
Sansa Stark: Ravenclaw → Hufflepuff
- Her mother’s daughter.
Catelyn Stark: Ravenclaw → Hufflepuff
- She’s a Tully, for heaven’s sake; though she played the wise counsellor at times to Robb, it’s still about ‘Duty, Family, Honor’ at the end of the day.
Samwell Tarly: Ravenclaw → Gryffindor
- We do get flashes of his capacity for bravery under stress, both beyond the wall and at Castle Black.
Shireen Baratheon: Ravenclaw → Ravenclaw, or Gryffindor.
Melisandre: Ravenclaw → Slytherin
Cersei Lannister: Slytherin → Slytherin
- No doubting her ambition.
Stannis Baratheon: Slytherin → Hufflepuff
Daenerys Targaryen: Slytherin → Gryffindor
- She does inspire loyalty, and I’d not call her ambitious exactly; her attitude to ruling is that it is a right to be seized resolutely.
Margaery Tyrell: Slytherin → Slytherin (also no doubting her ambition).
Petyr Baelish: Slytherin → Slytherin
Renly Baratheon: Slytherin → Hufflepuff
- From his behavior at his assembled court in Season 2, as well as Brienne’s story of her first meeting with him.
Robb Stark: Hufflepuff → Gryffindor
- Rashness rather than duty, surely? though like Wormtail, he might perhaps have been a Slytherin in other company.
Brienne of Tarth: Hufflepuff → Hufflepuff
Ned Stark: Hufflepuff → Hufflepuff
Jorah Mormont: Hufflepuff → Slytherin
- He does not lack for ambition or resourcefulness, and I do think it is how his life experience has changed his personality that makes this less obvious.
Bran Stark: Hufflepuff → Ravenclaw
- A climber who turned out to be very agile but slightly too curious – too curious to hide quickly.
Davos Seaworth: Hufflepuff → Hufflepuff
Reassessment Final Tally
Gryffindor: Jon Snow, Arya Stark, Asha Greyjoy, Samwell Tarly, Daenerys Targaryen, Robb Stark, Shireen Baratheon* (6.5).
Ravenclaw: Tyrion Lannister, Shireen Baratheon*, Bran Stark (2.5).
Slytherin: Jaime Lannister*, Oberyn Martell, Melisandre, Cersei Lannister, Margaery Tyrell, Petyr Baelish, Jorah Mormont (6.5).
Hufflepuff: Jaime Lannister*, Theon Greyjoy, Sansa Stark, Catelyn Stark, Stannis Baratheon, Renly Baratheon, Brienne of Tarth, Ned Stark, Davos Seaworth (8.5).